Software Engineer (Android)
About the department
The Product and Technology Group is the idea and application development team that creates and maintains the large-scale digital publishing and classified listings systems that enable iCar Asia to distribute to and monetize buyers, private sellers, dealers and advertisers while always maintaining a significant innovative and market leading position.
About the job
We are looking for a resilient high-energy individual with a passion for learning to join our team. You will be working on applications available in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand and help iCarAsia change the way people buy and sell cars in South East Asia.
To use Mobile development tools to develop applications to support the deployment of content and classified listings. To develop web applications using Mobile development tools and Object Oriented programming techniques to support a variety of web interfaces.
Who are we looking for?
- You are a teacher, a coach, a mentor and a shoulder to cry on. Your mission is that no work you or your team do will ever be boring.
- You will live and breathe Android – ensuring it delivers “High quality” consumer experience. You are responsible for whether it succeeds or fails.
- You never stop learning to write cleaner and more efficient code, we make sure you do it in a fun loving way.
- Hate working in a cubicle hell? We provide an open environment with your choice of gadgets you will love to work on.
- Sh*t happens. As long as you can clean them up if it pops up from time to time.
- We are a generous bunch. We share our knowledge, and our candies too!
- We are also SMART people, so we work SMART!
Mainly responsible for mobile development on the Android platform.
- Build effective mobile applications that will aid and enhance user experience
- Support and maintain existing mobile applications
- Assist in overall planning, researching, developing and testing
- Keep up to date and stay abreast with latest mobile technologies, standards and programming techniques
- Produce design documentation in line with the project scope and deliverables; comprising the following:
o Data Design
o Activity Diagrams
o Other design artefacts as required
- Strong knowledge on mobile design technologies, protocols, standards and frameworks
- Development using Test Driven Development (TDD) methodology
- Constructively challenge and discuss opportunities/alternatives
- Optimize queries, indexes, stored procedures and other to increase throughput, availability, scalability, redundancy, superior performance and quick recoverability
- Perform Android technology reviews during implementation to ensure that the organisation is ready to adopt the project changes
- Gather stakeholder feedback at various phases of the project
- Maintain code of existing applications
- Analyse and fix data irregularities and write code when necessary to fix problems
- Optimize code to increase throughput, availability, scalability, redundancy, superior performance and quick recoverability
- Ensure that all code for the project is version controlled, kept up to date, circulated as appropriate in an agreed standard format
Personal Development and Teamwork
- Demonstrate flexibility in operating as part of a team
- Demonstrate an awareness of personal development needs and actively participates in self development activities
- Motivate team members and manage team performance
- Understand and support the performance management process
- Is aware of and complies with all company policies
- Collaborate with the Management, undertake any other duties or projects that may be reasonably required by the Management or that may be reasonably foreseen through proactive role engagement and deal with matters arising in a timely and effective manner
Essential knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent, preferably in an IT-related field
- 1 Year plus experience in Android Development.
- Good knowledge of OOP concepts.
- Experience using git for version and source control.
- Good knowledge Java and Android Studio environment.
- Experience with web services and data formats like (JSON, XML, REST).
- Experience with integrating with third party APIs (Facebook, Four Square, Google Maps, Paypal etc)
- Solid understanding of mobile development life cycle.
- Experience in releasing and maintaining Android apps in Google Play.
- Above all – be a learner
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to independently time manage, and deliver to deadlines
- Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- · Ability to read communication styles of team members and stakeholders who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines. Hence, able to proactively initiate, develop, and maintain effective working relationships with team members
- Familiarity and experience working in multidisciplinary teams
- Very high standard of accuracy, presentation and attention to detail
Desirable knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Solid experience working for a multinational organisation where English is the primary business language
- Previous experience in automotive and/or online media industry
- Experience with release management, continuous integration, automated testing, unit testing and test driven development
- A results-driven style with sophisticated leadership skills; able to develop a high-performing team, manage team diversity and inspire others, consolidate progress and to display innovation, positivity, enthusiasm and passion even during challenging situations
- Comfortable and familiar with working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Pro-active in creating own workload and looking for tasks; able to self-motivate, work independently and use own initiative in the absence of clear guidelines by identifying tasks/issues , projects and/or potential problems in advance and creating solutions
- An efficient, calm, fast and flexible approach; prioritises workload to meet targets and deadlines; manages multiple priorities; adapts quickly to changing requirements in a very fast-paced working environment
- Accountable and responsible; follows up on work, sees tasks through to completion and takes ownership of outcomes
- A proactive approach to both written and oral communication at different levels and in different contexts; able and willing to adapt style to build and maintain relationships
- A sensitive, diplomatic and sophisticated manner when dealing with colleagues, senior management and third parties; listens carefully and establishes credibility
- Adopts a positive, innovative and creative attitude to work; thinks outside the box and explores the better way of doing things and takes on a “sleeves-rolled-up” and “can-do” approach even when faced with challenges
- Maintains absolute integrity and confidentiality; is trustworthy, honest, credible and reliable