Head of Events
About the department
The Product and Technology Group is the idea and application development team that creates and maintains the large-scale digital publishing and classified listings systems that enable iCar Asia to distribute to and monetize buyers, private sellers, dealers and advertisers while always maintaining a significant innovative and market leading position.
About the job
The Event Management department is responsible for the social, promotional, projects and business aspects of an event for iCar Asia.
Who are we looking for?
To work with Event Management Team, Media Sales, OEMs, and Dealerships to develop and produce Malaysia’s largest and most exciting Motor Expos, Motor Shows and Motor Events in Malaysia. The flexibility and freedom to create industry-leading events in all sizes, shapes, and locations. Our vision is to successfully connect buyer and sellers through their whole automotive journey, and hosting successful events is a perfect opportunity to showcase our capability.
- Be the driving force behind our event business, delivering thought leadership and enthusiasm to the company and the industry.
- Create concepts and consensus on what our event business should be at each stage of its growth, from start-up to established regional player.
- Manage the Event Management and Event Contractor teams (external contractors), in all areas of event delivery, including;
- Event Venue Selection/Dates/Rental
- Event development and cost (security, electricity, licensing, insurance, furniture, telecommunications, on site activities, stationary, manpower , freight and transport, accommodation)
- Exhibition Area design and build (floor plan, entrance, raw space, system booth, structures, ticketing, stickering, branding, and walkway.)
- Main Stages/Presentation areas (backdrop, graphics, projectors, presenter requirements, AV equipment, Emcees, system barricades, speaker flight and accommodation, hydration for speakers, and props)
- Outdoor Activities – test drive, drive in movie night, go-kart competition, off road driving etc
- Event Activities – automotive related activities for kids, women & men
- Ceremonies including Opening, Closing, etc. (Songs, stage, backdrops, AV Systems, F&B, VIP Gifts)
- Promotional Items (bags, gifts, badges, etc)
- Ticketing (pricing, discounting, method of issuing/tracking/redemption)
- Marketing Campaigns (TV, Radio, Billboards, Online (FB, Twitter, EDM, etc) including social/viral and partner/affiliate marketing.
- Build the event P&L and be accountable for meeting the financial forecasts. Manage all areas of events costs to ensure that all activities are carried out effectively both operationally and financially within a specified budget target.
- Working with the Media Sales team, earn the trust and win the sponsorship or event participation of our OEMs and other auto-related industry companies.
- Ownership of the attendance numbers: In a concerted effort with the Event Management Company and the Head of Marketing, drive attendance numbers to meet projections and build contingency plans in the event of succeeding beyond expectations.
- Regularly report to the CEO, Country Manager and Head of Media Sales the progress of the Event business.
- Own the operational and planning communication ensuring that all responsibilities and role objectives for each member of the Event Management, the Event Contractor team, and the internal iCar Asia teams are clarified during the planning process and on event days.
- Present during events and able to handle issues and problems that arise during the events.
- Follow up after the event and obtain feedback from clients for reference purposes.
- Foster quality-working relationships with all external contractors, suppliers, agencies and governmental bodies.
- Collaborate with the Management, undertake any other duties or projects that may be reasonably required by the Management or that may be reasonably foreseen through proactive role engagement and deal with matters arising in a timely and effective manner.
Essential knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience in running large scale events and developing annual events plan.
- Relevant work experience in Event Management and a broad understanding of event production and execution from scratch.
- Good interpersonal and skills are essential as the satisfaction of the clients is the number-one priority.
- Possess expert planning, coordinating and managing skills.
- Possess creativity in coming up with new and interesting ideas for events.
- Perfect time management, goal oriented and strive to complete the assigned project according to deadline.
- An outstanding organiser and administrator with meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to understand a complex financial context and experience of creating, managing and monitoring complex budgets.
- Enthusiastic and have extensive experience of managing a team and understanding people management issues.
- Team worker with the ability to both establish good working relationships and to support and cooperate with others.
- Able to demonstrate outstanding creative problem-solving and negotiating abilities.
- An understanding of Health and Safety regulations.
- Proficiency in relevant computer applications (MS Office)
Desirable knowledge, skills, abilities and other requirements:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent, preferably in an Event Management or related field
- Experience working for a multinational organisation where English is the business language
- Experience working in a low-structure, very fast-paced environment
- Previous experience in automotive and/or online media industry
- Ability to handle stress and commitment to working hours as required to deliver events to a high standard.
- Should possess own car for regular client visits
- Flexibility to work non-standard hours and weekends as may be required